Sunday brunch never tastes better than when it’s all washed down with a Bloody Mary—but variety is the spice of life, so why not shake things up a little the next time you get your boozy brunch on?
Wines and spirits are sold by FreshDirect Wines & Spirits, License # 1277181620 5th Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11215, Tel: (718) 768-1521, M-W 1pm-10pm, Th-Sa 11am-10pm, Su 12pm-8pm
Ah, the typical Sunday morning ritual: you roll out of bed and head to your favorite brunch spot for some R&R (which includes the perfect brunch cocktail, of course!). Combining the delicious flavors of spicy, salty, and sweet, the traditional Bloody Mary has been a solid brunch staple for the best part of a century. But why go for the same-old when you can add an unexpected but delightful twist? Bonus: by bringing all-natural V8 vegetable juice to the party, you’re actually drinking a serving of veggies with every glass. Don’t forget the garnishes!
1. The Classic Bloody Mary: Mix together your vodka of choice, Worcestershire, Tabasco, salt, pepper, lemon juice, and V8 vegetable juice.
2. The Bloody Caesar: Add clam juice to the classic Bloody Mary cocktail, plus a fresh clam in an endive-leaf boat on a side plate for a beautiful seafood garnish.
3. The Bloody Bull: Mix together a classic Bloody Mary and just add orange juice, beef broth, and an orange peel for garnish.
4. The Bloody Maria: Switch out the vodka that’s used in the classic Bloody Mary for tequila, and use lime instead of lemon.
5. The Red Snapper: Add in all of the classic Bloody Mary ingredients, this time replacing the vodka with gin and include both a lemon and lime for garnish.
For a slightly sweeter side, try our liquor merchant’s favorite: a traditional Bloody Mary with bourbon instead of vodka.
Try pairing any of the above with our summertime seafood favorites like freshly shucked Bluepoint oysters or buttery, sweet lobster full of delicate flavor.