It’s the height of tomato season and the possibilities are endless with this versatile fruit. Below the fold, we’ve gathered some simple inspiration for every tomato occasion.
1. As a shortcut, take FreshDirect pesto pasta salad and add fresh mozzarella and chopped tomatoes.
2. Stuff hollowed cherry tomatoes with fresh herbs and goat cheese for a simple appetizer (or use the same ingredients to top crostini).
3. Make a 20-minute tomato sauce: chop tomatoes, garlic, and basil, and sauté in olive oil. Top fresh pasta with sauce, shredded basil, and shaved Parmesan.
4. For homemade guacamole, mix ripe guacamole, chopped tomatoes and onions, lime juice, and cilantro. Pico de gallo and homemade salsa are just as easy: mix chopped tomatoes, onions, lime juice, and fresh herbs. The fresh flavor is beyond comparison.
5. Use chopped tomatoes, fresh-squeezed citrus, and fresh herbs to liven up your homemade tabouleh or cold chickpea salads.
6. Roast tomatoes on high heat (especially if they’re starting to go bad), and place in olive oil. Keep in the fridge and add to all your salads, sandwiches, and grain dishes.
7. Sweet corn is also in season right now. Combine fresh corn, black beans, chopped tomatoes, jalapenos, and lime juice and serve with fish (or on top of fish tacos!).
8. Grill vegetable skewers (tomato + onion + pepper) and steak or chicken skewers, and use the results to top quinoa.
9. Dress up your Sunday omelet with chopped tomatoes, ham, and cheddar. The combo is killer.
10. Make white pizza at home. Use FreshDirect pizza dough, add a drizzle of olive oil to coat the dough, and top with fresh sliced tomatoes, spinach (we also love it with sweet peppers), shredded (or fresh) mozzarella, and dollops of ricotta. You can thank us later.
While we have some new ideas on the table, let’s also admit the truth: sometimes you just want to let your tomatoes sing with quality olive and fresh mozzarella. For a twist on everyone’s favorite caprese salad:
- Make a simple tomato vinaigrette by blending chopped heirlooms, red wine vinegar, olive oil, and sea salt.
- Toss chopped and sliced tomatoes (we like mixing the shapes and sizes) in your vinaigrette and put in the center of the plate. Surround with sliced burrata cheese, and top the plate with torn basil and another drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil.
- Serve and devour. With bread. Lots and lots of bread.