This week marks Rosh Hashanah, the first of the High Holidays in the Jewish calendar, when families gather around meals that mark the new year.
Many celebrations include foods that reflect a deep symbolic meaning, including apples and honey, to suggest a sweet new year, a round challah to indicate the cycle of the year and other symbolic ingredients, like pumpkins, leeks, pomegranates and beets.
And because Rosh Hashanah occurs in the early autumn, a wide variety of naturally sweet fruits and vegetables are at peak season right now.
We’ve selected five favorite recipes from our Rosh Hashanah One-Click Recipe section that focus on rich, sweet flavors.
Try one of these delicious options, or browse through the rest of the FreshDirect recipe section for more festive dishes to bring in the new year.
- Chicken Marbella from “The Silver Palate Cookbook”
- Duck Stew in Sauternes from “Bistro Cooking”
- Fennel & Apple Slaw from “Celebrate!”
- Applesauce Spice Cake from Real Simple® magazine
- Apple and Noodle Kugel from “Please to the Table”