Kale salad with homemade dressing and croutons?! This recipe will seriously up your kale game. Serve this as a side to your lobster or for non-lobster lovers, simply add rotisserie chicken, salmon, or steak to make this salad a meal. Check out Chef Anne Burrell’s recipe and how-to video after the jump.
To add this recipe’s ingredients right to your FreshDirect cart, download the Popcart bookmarklet now! Just highlight the ingredients and click the “Popcart it” button.
Time: About 20 minutes
Serves: 2 to 4
Mise en Place
• Extra-virgin olive oil
• 4 cloves garlic, smashed
• Pinch of crushed red pepper
• 2 slices day-old Italian bread, cut into ½-inch cubes
• ½ cup grated Parmigiano
• 1 lemon, zested and juiced
• 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
• 2 to 3 anchovy fillets
• 2 shakes Worcestershire sauce
• Kosher salt
• 1 head kale, tough stems removed, cut into a chiffonade
1. Coat a large sauté pan with olive oil. Toss in half the garlic and the crushed red pepper and bring the pan to medium heat. Cook the garlic until it becomes golden and very aromatic, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the garlic and ditch it—it has fulfilled its garlic destiny. Toss in the bread cubes and cook, stirring frequently until they are golden, crisp, and have absorbed all the oil, like little olive oil sponges. Remove from the heat and reserve.
2. In the bowl of a food processor, combine the Parmigiano, lemon juice, and zest, the remaining garlic, the Dijon, anchovies, and Worcestershire. Purée until the mixture is smooth, 15 to 20 seconds. With the machine running, add 1/4 to 1/3 cup of olive oil through the feed tube. Let the processor continue to run for another 10 to 15 seconds. Taste and season with salt if needed.
3. In a large bowl, toss the kale with the croutons and two-thirds of the dressing. Let the kale sit for 3 to 4 minutes to soften. Taste, add the remaining dressing, and adjust the seasons if needed.
Hail to the Caesar…salad!