Details About the FreshDirect EBT Pilot Program
FreshDirect is proud to join state and federal agencies in testing a pilot program that will deliver fresh food and groceries to select Bronx ZIP codes for customers using Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) cards. In addition to our overall FAQs, read on for more details about this exciting new program.
How it works:
Other program info:
- Shopping: Customers paying with an EBT Food (SNAP) or EBT Cash card can create a FreshDirect account and shop at the website the same way all our customers do, but they need to select the EBT option for payment during the checkout process. FreshDirect requests that customers using the EBT card place a minimum order of $30 per delivery.
- Eligible Merchandise: Only items eligible for SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program) are allowed in orders that are paid with the EBT Food card. A list of SNAP-eligible items can be found at the USDA website.
- Payment Amount: After the order is submitted, customers paying with EBT cards will see an estimated total. On the day of delivery, there will be two totals: one final and one EBT Purchase Total. Based on Federal regulations, the EBT Purchase Total will be the lesser of the other two (estimated and final) totals.
- Delivery Process: We will deliver the customer's order during a timeslot the customer selects at checkout, and the customer will swipe the EBT card and enter their PIN for the EBT Purchase Total at the time of delivery. There will be no delivery fee, tax or surcharge for EBT pilot program deliveries to ZIP Codes 10454 and 10455.
- Changes & Cancellations: You can change, reschedule or cancel an order at any time before the order cutoff deadline indicated on the email we send to confirm your order. To avoid being charged for an order you wish to cancel, we must receive your cancellation before the deadline. For orders cancelled after the deadline, or if the customer does not have complete funds available on the EBT card at the time of delivery, the order may be returned to FreshDirect; That customer may be ineligible to use EBT payments on future FreshDirect deliveries.
- Guarantee: Our 100% Satisfaction Guarantee is the same for all customers — if there's a product issue, customers should contact our Customer Service Team at the Get Help page, and we'll credit the EBT card used for payment. FreshDirect will retain the EBT return
voucher and customers can check their updated account balances within 24 hours by logging on to: https://ucard.chase.com
- The EBT pilot program is currently restricted to the delivery addresses in two ZIP codes in the Bronx: 10454 and 10455
- Although there is no delivery fee, tax or surcharge for EBT pilot program customers, the mandatory New York State bottle deposit is still applicable, but customers may use the EBT card to pay for bottle deposits.
- Due to concern for the health of our drivers, we limit purchases for many case sizes of beverages on our web site and do not deliver to walk-ups (buildings without elevators) above the 5th floor, or deliver more than 3 cases of beverages above the 4th floor. In the event of a broken elevator, we do not ask our drivers to carry groceries up more than 5 floors. Because our technology cannot enforce these limits, we ask our customers to abide by these service limitations, as we may limit deliveries when orders exceed these requirements. These policies apply to all our deliveries.
- As with all of our deliveries, payment types cannot be mixed with credit or debit or EBT Cash. In other words, a delivery that's paid with the EBT card must be tendered in total on a single EBT Food or EBT Cash transaction.