"Red Sensation, Starkrimson"
- Tarter than the average pear. The red pear tastes a bit like banana, with a crunch that's similar to an apple's. The texture is less grainy than other pears. We like to poach these crimson beauties to boost their mild flavor, or serve them with a creamy Roquefort cheese. You will receive one of three varieties of red pear — Anjou, Starkrimson or Bartlett.Origin
USASeasonPear Season: Fall thru Winter
To ripen pears, store them at room temperature for 2 to 3 days. Since these fruits become more fragile as they ripen, try to store them loosely in a bowl or on a plate. When ripe, most pears will give slightly when pressed gently near the stem. Some pears, like Bartlett, turn from green to yellow and produce a fragrance as they ripen.
Storing Ripe Pears
Once a pear hits its peak ripeness, transfer it to the refrigerator crisper and eat within a few days.
Storing Asian Pears
Asian pears will remain quite firm when they are ripe, so the key to determining if they are ready to eat is aroma: a ripe Asian pear will be quite fragrant. If they are unblemished, most Asian pears should keep in the refrigerator crisper for up to 2 months. Wrap each pear in paper towels to protect it, and place in a perforated plastic bag.
Like That? You'll Love This.
$0.79Any 6 local corn for $3.00Mix'n'Match
- Lancaster Farm Fresh CooperativeLocal Organic Vegetable CSA Boxapprox 8-10 items, weight varies$29.99/ea
- Lancaster Farm Fresh CooperativeLocal Vegetables CSA Box with Eggs, Mushrooms, Cheese and Yogurtapprox 7-9 items, weight varies$42.99/ea
- Lancaster Farm Fresh CooperativeLocal Organic Vegetable CSA Box with Eggs and Cheeseapprox 10 items, weight varies$42.99/ea
$3.49Any 2 Special Artichokes for $4.00Mix'n'Match
- Ocean Mist FarmsSpinach(about 8oz per bunch)$2.29/eaAny 2 Ocean Mist vegetables for $4.00Mix'n'Match
- $3.99/eaAny 2 Local Shishitos for $7.00Mix'n'Match