DescriptionWith its crisp bite and round contours, the Asian pear reminds us of an apple, so its nickname "apple pear" isn't off the mark. Sweeter than the average Asian Pear, the Korean boasts a honeyed, buttery flavor. Try slices paired with a pungent cheese, or wrapped in prosciutto for an easy appetizer.SeasonPeak Season: Varies
To ripen pears, store them at room temperature for 2 to 3 days. Since these fruits become more fragile as they ripen, try to store them loosely in a bowl or on a plate. When ripe, most pears will give slightly when pressed gently near the stem. Some pears, like Bartlett, turn from green to yellow and produce a fragrance as they ripen.
Storing Ripe Pears
Once a pear hits its peak ripeness, transfer it to the refrigerator crisper and eat within a few days.
Storing Asian Pears
Asian pears will remain quite firm when they are ripe, so the key to determining if they are ready to eat is aroma: a ripe Asian pear will be quite fragrant. If they are unblemished, most Asian pears should keep in the refrigerator crisper for up to 2 months. Wrap each pear in paper towels to protect it, and place in a perforated plastic bag.
Evergreen Farm Local Korean Jumbo Pear
Like That? You'll Love This.
10%Driscoll'sOrganic Raspberriesapprox. 6oz$4.99/ea2 for $9
- Just FreshDirectLocal Organic Large Brown Eggs1 dozen$3.99/ea($0.33/ct)
- Organic Bananas5-7ct$2.39/bnc
- Driscoll'sOrganic Blackberriesapprox. 6oz$4.99/ea
- Cal-OrganicOrganic Rainbow Carrotsbunch$2.99/ea
- White Dragon Fruit$5.99/ea
39%Bartlett Pearapprox. 0.5lb$0.99/ea5 for $3
- Just FreshDirectLocal Organic Whole Milk, Carton1/2 gallon$3.99/ea($1.00/pt)
25%Baby Bananas, Bunch10-16ct$2.99/ea
- Organic Mini Seedless Cucumbersapprox. 1lb$4.99/ea
- Just FreshDirectLocal Organic Extra Large Brown Eggs1 dozen$4.19/ea($0.35/ct)
16%Danjou Pearapprox. 0.5lb$1.49/ea4 for $5