With its tender, fine-grained flesh, mild pineapple tang, and slightly grainy texture, the Bartlett is one of our favorite fruits. It's the ultimate summer pear. When its speckled green skin turns to yellow, this juicy pear is ripe and ready to eat. Though Bartletts can be cooked, we think their soft texture and outstanding flavor are best enjoyed when you bite into one fresh-picked.Peak Season: Varies
- More Information
To ripen pears, store them at room temperature for 2 to 3 days. Since these fruits become more fragile as they ripen, try to store them loosely in a bowl or on a plate. When ripe, most pears will give slightly when pressed gently near the stem. Some pears, like Bartlett, turn from green to yellow and produce a fragrance as they ripen.
Storing Ripe Pears
Once a pear hits its peak ripeness, transfer it to the refrigerator crisper and eat within a few days.
Storing Asian Pears
Asian pears will remain quite firm when they are ripe, so the key to determining if they are ready to eat is aroma: a ripe Asian pear will be quite fragrant. If they are unblemished, most Asian pears should keep in the refrigerator crisper for up to 2 months. Wrap each pear in paper towels to protect it, and place in a perforated plastic bag.
- Explanatory Information
Like That? You'll Love This.
22%Bosc Pearapprox. 0.5lb$1.29/eaAny 5 Save on Pears for $5
22%Danjou Pearapprox. 0.5lb$1.29/eaAny 5 Save on Pears for $5
- Just FreshDirectLocal Organic Whole Milk, Carton1/2 gallon$3.99/ea($1.00/pt)
- Just FreshDirectLocal Organic Large Brown Eggs1 dozen$3.99/ea($0.33/ct)
- Just FreshDirectLocal Organic 2% Reduced Fat Milk, Carton1/2 gallon$3.99/ea($1.00/pt)
- Yellow Bananas5-7ct$1.89/ea
- Organic Bananas5-7ct$2.39/bnc
- Organic Blueberriesapprox. 6oz$6.49/ea
- Just FreshDirectLocal Organic 1% Lowfat Milk, Carton1/2 gallon$3.99/ea($1.00/pt)
10%Driscoll'sOrganic Raspberriesapprox. 6oz$4.99/ea2 for $9
- Sixty SouthFarm-Raised Atlantic Salmon Fillet$11.99/lb
- Yellow Onions, Bagapprox. 2lb$1.99/ea