A hint of cloves and tart pineapple. Juicy as a honeydew. This all-purpose pear holds up well when cooked, but it's just as good right off the tree. The buttery texture does justice to its full French name, Beurre d'Anjou (meaning butter from the rich French dairy region of Anjou).Peak Season: Varies
To ripen pears, store them at room temperature for 2 to 3 days. Since these fruits become more fragile as they ripen, try to store them loosely in a bowl or on a plate. When ripe, most pears will give slightly when pressed gently near the stem. Some pears, like Bartlett, turn from green to yellow and produce a fragrance as they ripen.
Storing Ripe Pears
Once a pear hits its peak ripeness, transfer it to the refrigerator crisper and eat within a few days.
Storing Asian Pears
Asian pears will remain quite firm when they are ripe, so the key to determining if they are ready to eat is aroma: a ripe Asian pear will be quite fragrant. If they are unblemished, most Asian pears should keep in the refrigerator crisper for up to 2 months. Wrap each pear in paper towels to protect it, and place in a perforated plastic bag.
Like That? You'll Love This.
16%Organic Blueberriesapprox. 6oz$5.99/ea2 for $10
33%Bartlett Pearapprox. 0.5lb$1.49/ea4 for $4
- Yellow Bananas5-7ct$1.89/ea
- Just FreshDirectLocal Organic Whole Milk, Carton1/2 gallon$3.99/ea($1.00/pt)
- Just FreshDirectLocal Organic Large Brown Eggs1 dozen$3.99/ea($0.33/ct)
- Envy Apples4ct$5.99/eaabout $3.00/lb
- Equal ExchangeFair Trade Organic Bananas5ct$2.69/ea
24%Yellow Onions, Bagapprox. 2lb$1.99/ea2 for $3
- Just FreshDirectLocal Organic Extra Large Brown Eggs1 dozen$4.29/ea($0.36/ct)
18%Driscoll'sOrganic Raspberriesapprox. 6oz$5.49/ea2 for $9
- Just FreshDirectWhole Milk, Carton1/2 gallon$2.69/ea($0.67/pt)
- Just FreshDirectLocal Organic 2% Reduced Fat Milk, Carton1/2 gallon$3.99/ea($1.00/pt)