A hint of cloves and tart pineapple. Juicy as a honeydew. This all-purpose pear holds up well when cooked, but it's just as good right off the tree. The buttery texture does justice to its full French name, Beurre d'Anjou (meaning butter from the rich French dairy region of Anjou).
Peak Season: Varies
To ripen pears, store them at room temperature for 2 to 3 days. Since these fruits become more fragile as they ripen, try to store them loosely in a bowl or on a plate. When ripe, most pears will give slightly when pressed gently near the stem. Some pears, like Bartlett, turn from green to yellow and produce a fragrance as they ripen.
Storing Ripe Pears
Once a pear hits its peak ripeness, transfer it to the refrigerator crisper and eat within a few days.
Storing Asian Pears
Asian pears will remain quite firm when they are ripe, so the key to determining if they are ready to eat is aroma: a ripe Asian pear will be quite fragrant. If they are unblemished, most Asian pears should keep in the refrigerator crisper for up to 2 months. Wrap each pear in paper towels to protect it, and place in a perforated plastic bag.
Organic Danjou Pear
San Pellegrino Momenti Italian Sparkling Drink, Melograno & Ribes (Pomegranate & Blackcurrant), Cans6ct, 11.15fl oz ea
Like That? You'll Love This.
46%Organic Blueberriesapprox. 18oz$7.99/ea
$12.992 for $14
50%Driscoll'sOrganic Raspberriesapprox. 6oz$3.49/ea
$5.992 for $6
- Organic Gala Applesapprox. 3lb bag$6.99/eaabout $2.33/lb
- Just FreshDirectLocal Organic Extra Large Brown Eggs1 dozen$4.19/ea($0.35/ct)
- Organic Mini Seedless Cucumbersapprox. 1lb$4.99/ea
- Organic Bananas5-7ct$2.39/bnc
- Just FreshDirectLocal Organic Whole Milk, Carton1/2 gallon$3.99/ea($1.00/pt)
- Organic Lemons5-7ct, approx. 2lb bag$7.99/ea
16%Organic Bosc Pearapprox. 0.5lb$1.49/eaAny 4 Organic Pears for $5
23%Organic Blueberriesapprox. 6oz$6.49/ea2 for $10
- Organic Honeycrisp Applesapprox. 3lb bag$9.99/eaabout $3.33/lb
- Avocados from MexicoOrganic Hass Avocados5ct$8.99/ea