The cashew "nut" is a kidney-shaped seed that grows on a tree not more than 30 feet tall, like an apple or cherry tree, in a double shell at the end of a sweet-smelling pear-shaped fruit called the cashew "apple." These "apples" are not common in the U.S. but are considered delicacies in their native Brazil and Caribbean where they are either eaten raw or their juice is fermented to become alcohol. The tree is a native of South America, but in the 16th century the Portuguese introduced it to East African colonies and India. Today the leading commercial producers of cashews are India, Brazil, Mozambique, Tanzania and Nigeria.
The cashew nut is not as hard as other nuts and has a delicate, sweet flavor. And unlike other nuts, you will never find cashews sold in the store in their shell. The inside of their shell contains a poisonous resin related to the poison ivy family, known as cashew balm which must be carefully removed before the nut can be consumed. (from Planters)
Cashews, Sea Salt, Peanut And/Or Cottonseed Oil.
Planters Cashew Halves
- PlantersMixed Nuts10.3oz$5.99/ea($9.36/lb)
- PlantersDry Roasted Unsalted Peanuts16oz$4.79/ea($4.79/lb)
- Califia FarmsAlmond Milk, Unsweetened48fl oz$4.99/ea
11%Just FreshDirectRaw Almonds16oz$7.99/ea
20%SwifferSweeper Dry Pad Refills, Unscented32ct$8.79/ea
16%Stonyfield OrganicSmooth and Creamy Whole Milk Yogurt, Plain32oz$3.75/ea
- Kellogg'sRaisin Bran Cereal23.5oz$4.49/ea($3.05/lb)
- Just FreshDirectRoasted Salted Cashews, Family-Size Tub28oz$20.99/ea($11.99/lb)
20%SwifferSweeper Wet Mopping Pad Refills, Open Window Fresh Scent24ct$8.79/ea
16%Stonyfield OrganicSmooth and Creamy Lowfat Yogurt, Plain32oz$3.75/ea
- SilkOrganic Soymilk, Unsweetened1/2 gallon$3.99/ea
- Crispy GreenFreeze-Dried Apples6ct, 0.36oz ea$8.99/ea($66.59/lb)