The summer lobster — called shedder lobster by the locals in Maine — is a delicious delicacy of the summer season. Each year, lobsters shed their hard outer shell, leaving a fresh, softer shell underneath that takes time to harden. Lobsters caught during this time are renowned for their sweet, tender, succulent meat, and can be cracked open by hand. Soft-shelled lobsters cook faster than their hard-shelled counterparts, so take a few minutes off the boiling time of your favorite recipe to keep the meat soft and juicy. When the antennae are easy to pull off, you'll know it's done.
Summer lobsters are sensitive and more difficult to transport, which is why we source our lobsters from our partners at Homarus. Homarus delivers their stock fresh from Maine to New York City in less than 24 hours. Their expertise and relationships with local lobstermen ensure that they get the best stock, sourced from 500-foot-deep waters off the coast of Maine, so you know you're getting the highest quality lobsters available.
- More Information
Usage ListStock, Deep-fry, Braise, Sauté, Grill, Roast, Ceviche, Steam, Stew, Smoke, Poach
- Serving Suggestion
How much should I buy?One 1.5lb lobster makes an average-sized serving
Live Summer Lobster
- Pika's Farm TableLobster Risotto Cakes12ct, 16oz$14.99/ea($1.25/ct)
- Land O'LakesUnsalted Butter4ct, 4oz ea$5.99/ea($5.99/lb)
- FreshDirect FrozenPlain Demi-Baguette2ct, 9.5" ea$2.99/ea($1.50/ct)
- Lemons and Limes9-11ct, approx. 3lb bag$7.99/ea
$1.39Any 6 Seasonal Citrus for $6.00
- FreshDirect FrozenSemolina Demi Baguette2pk, 11" ea$2.99/ea($1.50/ct)
- Lemons5-7ct, approx. 2lb bag$5.99/ea