The fruit comes from head-trained old vines and is harvested in early September. This is truly remarkable plant material in very old vineyards; some dating to Roman times. The soils in Manduria are red iron-rich clays with large calcareous rocks, shells and coral from ancient sea beds. We're talking ancient, gnarled baskets hugging the ground and rocks around them, ancient chariots buried underneath, lost civilization stuff.
Layer Cake Primitivo comes right at you with huge inky black fruit, spice and white pepper; layered and rich in the mouth with jammy black cherries, truffles, espresso and dense, creamy texture. Always in the background are hints of the old sea beds that are the Puglia terroir. This is by far the most versatile wine in the Layer Cake lineup; the big power makes it work with all kinds of meats and roasts, the soft textures and sweet ripe fruit make it one of the few red wines that works amazingly well with spicy foods. Salute! (from the vintner)
Layer Cake Primitivo IGT
Like That? You'll Love This.
- wine&spiritsCannonball Cabernet Sauvignon750ml$15.99/ea($21.32/l)
- wine&spiritsJoseph Drouhin Laforet Bourgogne Chardonnay750ml$14.99/ea($19.99/l)
- wine&spiritsGaierhof Trentino Pinot Grigio DOC750ml$17.99/ea($23.99/l)
- wine&spiritsAllegrini Valpolicella DOC750ml$18.99/ea($25.32/l)
- wine&spiritsLayer Cake Malbec750ml$15.99/ea($21.32/l)
- wine&spiritsGrapesmith & Crusher Cabernet Sauvignon750ml$14.99/ea($19.99/l)
- wine&spiritsSan Matteo Gavi DOCG750ml$14.99/ea($19.99/l)
- wine&spiritsCycles Gladiator Cabernet Sauvignon Central Coast750ml$12.99/ea($17.32/l)
- wine&spiritsTormaresca Neprica Negroamaro IGT750ml$12.99/ea($17.32/l)
- wine&spiritsCastello di Nipozzano Chianti Rufina Riserva DOCG750ml$23.99/ea($31.99/l)
- wine&spiritsBastianich Friulano DOC750ml$22.99/ea($30.65/l)
- wine&spiritsLayer Cake Pinot Noir750ml$15.99/ea($21.32/l)