Laissez les bons temps rouler! (Let the good times roll!) February 21st marks Mardi Gras this year, but those who embrace the Carnival season celebrate from mid-January until midnight on the “Fat Tuesday” prior to Ash Wednesday… the dawn of Lent.
For me, I fell in love with New Orleans through her food. From spicy gumbo to addictive sweet beignets, there was so much to enjoy!
Mardi Gras is a great excuse to enjoy a Southern-style dinner, with N’awlins-inspired cuisine on the plate and a breezy cocktail in the glass. Here are some recipes to help you bring a touch of New Orleans to your table!
- Cocktails: Tom Smith, of USQ Wines & Spirits, developed these 2 great Mardi Gras cocktails: the Elmer T Smash and the Clement Hurricane.
- Appetizer: A favorite Mardi Gras appetizer is crab cakes. They’re easy to make beforehand and using fresh crabmeat makes them extra delicious. Check out these recipes: Pan-Fried Crab Cakes, Devilled Crab Cakes, and Jumbo Crab Cakes with Spicy Mayonnaise
- Entrees: Hearty and comforting Shrimp Gumbo is a must for any Mardi Gras celebration!
- Sides: Dirty Bayou Rice is a perfect side to complement your gumbo. And of course, some Wilted Greens is great to ensure you have some veggies on your plate!
- Dessert: To end your meal, enjoy this Cappuccino Semifreddo with Cinnamon-Sugar Doughnuts “Coffee and Donuts” recipe by Thomas Keller.