In the mood for a frozen DIY treat without all the dairy that’s in traditional ice cream? This recipe from Liz King, head nutrition chef at NYC’s Bliss In the Kitchen, is the perfect way to cool off and satisfy your sweet tooth wholesomely!
What You’ll Need
- 6 ripe organic bananas
- ¼ cup oat milk, coconut milk, or other non-dairy milk
- Two 2.1 oz bars Hu Kitchen Salty Dark Chocolate
- 1 cup pitted organic cherries
What to Do
6 hours before serving
1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Slice bananas into ¼-inch-thick coins. Evenly spread out banana pieces on sheet. Place in freezer and let freeze completely, 2-3 hours.
3 hours before serving
2. Finely chop pitted cherries. If you have an extra moment, place on a paper towel to absorb the excess juices. Set aside 2 tablespoons for topping.
3. Break off 4 squares chocolate and finely chop. Set aside for topping. Finely chop the rest.
4. Place frozen bananas in a food processor and add 1-2 tablespoons non-dairy milk. Give it a few pulses to combine. Continue adding milk 1-2 tablespoons at a time until mixture has the consistency of slightly soft ice cream. Once all milk is added, add the cherries and chocolate (except that set aside for topping) and give a few more pulses until just combined. Scrape mixture into a loaf pan and sprinkle reserved toppings over the top. Freeze until firm, at least 3 hours.
When ready to serve
5. Remove nice cream from freezer and let sit at room temperature for about 10 minutes. Scoop into bowls and dig in!
This post was done in partnership with Liz King. Liz King is a New York City-based chef and the founder of Bliss in the Kitchen, where she is head Nutrition Chef. Liz works with clients in their kitchens and online where she simplifies food from kitchen to table. She also teaches group cooking classes in her studio and at pop-ups in NYC. You can learn more about Liz at blissinthekitchen.nyc and follow her on Instagram @blissinthekitchen.