Payment & Billing
How can I pay for my order?FreshDirect accepts various forms of payment including:
- Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express credit cards as well as debit cards bearing the MasterCard or Visa logo
- Checking accounts
FreshDirect is also proud to join state and federal agencies in testing a pilot program that will deliver fresh food and groceries to select Bronx ZIP codes for customers using Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) cards. Click here for more information.
How does credit card payment work?If you select credit card payment, we authorize your card for orders placed within 48 hours of delivery. On the day of delivery your credit card will be charged, and you'll receive an e-mail confirming your final order total. We'll include a full, itemized receipt with your order.
If your credit card has expired or is otherwise invalid, we'll be unable to process your order. Please note that we reserve the right to collect funds for any fees owed FreshDirect resulting from incorrect credit card information or over-the-limit accounts.
We take every precaution to protect your credit card information. To read our privacy and security policies, click here.
Can I use multiple payment methods?In general, we accept one form of payment for a single order. The exception to this would be an order which is paid for using a FreshDirect gift card. In this case, the amount of the order will be deducted from the gift card balance and then any remaining order amount due will be deducted from the main payment method on file. Does FreshDirect accept personal checks or cash?You can pay through your checking account online. We do not accept paper checks, cashier's checks, money orders or cash at this time. I need to cancel my order I placed for later in the week. Will I be charged?No. We don't charge you for an order until the day of delivery; however, for orders placed within 48 hours of delivery, we do authorize your credit card. That amount will be automatically released if your order is not processed within 3 business days, although release times may vary based on your banking institution's policies. I see a $1 authorization charge from FreshDirect on my credit card/bank account. What is that?When you authorize credit card payment for a new card, FreshDirect will execute a $1 authorization or temporary charge on your credit card to verify that your account is valid and that the information you provide to FreshDirect is correct.
This authorization does not cost you anything and will expire in a few days (debit card authorizations typically expire in 24 to 48 hours, depending on your bank's rules).
If you experienced trouble enrolling with FreshDirect, you may see multiple $1 authorizations. These multiple charges (up to $5) will expire in a few days.
What happens when I make a checking account payment?Your checking account will be charged on the day of delivery. You'll receive an e-mail confirming your final order total.
If your check payment fails, the credit card we have on file for you will be billed. If your credit card has expired or is otherwise invalid, we'll be unable to process your order. Please note that we reserve the right to collect funds for any fees owed FreshDirect resulting from incorrect billing information or over-the-limit accounts.
Why are some prices estimated?Every apple, every steak, every cheese varies a little in size and weight. While you shop, we show an estimated weight and price for everything priced by the pound. On the day of delivery, we assemble your order and weigh each item to determine its final price. Please note that until you complete checkout, the unit price of any product on the site and in your cart may change to reflect current market conditions. When you complete checkout, your price per pound is locked in. We guarantee that you'll always pay the true price for the actual weight of your products. Why does my credit card charge not match my invoice?There are a few reasons your credit card may not match your invoice:
- When we authorize your credit card before delivery, if your order contains an item that is sold by weight, we require authorization for up to 125% of the estimated cost. In addition, we authorize for 100% of the remaining items in your order. Therefore, your cart will reflect the item estimates while your credit card will reflect the additional authorization amount for those weighable items.
The final price of these items is determined at the time your order is assembled.
- If you modify and add to your order after the initial authorization, we will obtain another authorization for up to 125% of the additional value, as explained above.
- If you purchase from FreshDirect Wines & Spirits, you will see a separate authorization for that value.
- Occasionally, your final invoice may show more than what is actually charged to your credit card. This happens if the weighable items exceed 125% of the estimate when assembled. If that should happen, although it does not reflect on your invoice, we only collect from your credit card the amount that was authorized and the rest is free of charge.
Does FreshDirect accept food stamps?FreshDirect is proud to join state and federal agencies in testing a pilot program that will deliver fresh food and groceries to select Bronx ZIP codes for customers using Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) cards. Click here for more information.